Monday, November 30, 2009

Recycled-Wine Rack Becomes Yarn Stasher


This past summer as I was shopping at a thrift store, I came upon an old homemade wine rack. I thought it looked interesting.  I'm not a drinker so I had no use for it, or did I?  Because of the size and weight of it, I  passed it by.  A week or two had passed and I returned to shop at the thrift store and noticed that the rack was still there.  If I remember correctly, it had a price tag of $40 on it.  I decided to haggle the price with them.  I offered them $10 and told them I would find someone to help me load it.  Much to my surprise, they accepted just in order to get rid of it.  A bigger surprise was that my exhusband paid for it and loaded it for me.  Although we're divorced, we still remain best friends.  Whoever made it used solid wood for the frame work and had recycled old clay sewer pipes cut just the right length to hold a bottle of wine.  They had stained it and had a piece of heavy glass cut to fit on top.  I thought the design was quite ingenious myself.  I bet it did make a great wine rack but I had other ideas for it, I thought it would make a great stash/storage unit for some of my yarn.  I placed it between a couple of easy chairs in my living room and began stuffing each pipe with its own skein of yarn.  I had a few used skeins and balls left, so I found a nice basket and loaded it up and placed it in front of my newly repurposed wine rack.  Now when I sit in my chair all my yarn is handy as can be.  Oops!  Not all of my yarn.  It does work great for the yarn I am currently using but I still have several large, clear, plastic storage bins with the rest of my stash.  As I've said before, I'm a crochet addict.  I would be lost without my stash of yarn.  Because of my interesting repurposing, it makes me wonder what other unique yarn storages you out there in cyber land may have.  Drop me a comment and let me know.  Curious yarn addicts also want to know.    

No comments:

Post a Comment