Sunday, November 29, 2009

Pet Collars or Jewelery?









In the beginning of 2009, a friend of mine's dog had puppies.  The puppies looked almost identical.  Aside from looking at their anatomical parts to decipher who was who, it was almost impossible to tell them apart.  By the way there were nine of them.  I came up with the idea of crocheting them temporary collars until they went home with their new adoptive families.  I made them so that they would adjust as the puppy grew and used a different color for each collar.  When a puppy was picked by the adoptive family we were able to tell which puppy went where.  No mix ups for us, the color coating worked great.  I will say this however, please keep an eye on new puppies if you should try this.  Puppies like to chew and we wouldn't want any of them to choke on a button.  Thankfully we didn't have that issue.  I just want to warn you about the possible choking hazard.

Pictured are a few models wearing the collars.  My cat, Spaz, pictured at the top is wearing the original prototype.  She didn't like the collar and hated her picture being taken.  Her personal collar didn't last long.  I found that cats like to scratch more than dogs and it wasn't long before it was shredded.  Oh well...crochet and learn.  I think that they also would make unique bracelets.  They looked fabulous on his golden lab puppies and Spaz.  This is my own original pattern.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment